Friday, March 24, 2006

Happy Birthday, Cooper!

Cooper,

Happy birthday! It has certainly been a priviledge to be a part of the first year of your journey on earth. I can not thank you enough for the joy you have brought into our lives.

One thing I remember was the fear I had of holding you. I was so afraid that I would drop you. Then the nurses put you right in my arms. I looked down at you and said "Hi there, little guy. I'm your daddy." I've never had that fear since.

I'm sure you won't remember this birthday or your party or the toys and clothes you receive for it. I hope you will read this blog someday and understand how you are truely loved and blessed. So for this very special day I wrote a poem for you, with love and a tear or two. The poem says everything I feel and everything I would say to you right now if you could understand. It's every emotion I've felt in the last year put succinctly into words.

I Don't Believe in Magic (aka Cooper's 1st Birthday Poem)

"I don't believe in magic",
Is what I'd always say.
I didn't find it tragic,
As the world grew colder by the day.
Few things seemed
still worth living for,
But there's a golden child I now see.
I couldn't possibly want more,
and Nothing means more to me.
It's just a beaming smile,
A giggle or a laugh.

It lasts just a little while,
And sometimes only half.
By my side with my little guy,
Even when the world is rough,
I know that I will get by.
It is certainly enough.
When my world was most tragic,
You were born on a cool March Day.
"I don't believe in magic",
Is now what I used to say.


The happy birthday boy this morning.

Video Sharing at DropShots.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Cooper! :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Coop! Gosh I can't believe how much they change in a year. It's fun reading blogs like yours and watching kids grow, because it's easy to miss the changes in my own toddler.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy. I missed it. :(

Happy first Birthday Cooper!!!