Thursday, March 02, 2006

They Say It's My Birthday

It doesn't feel like my birthday for some reason. This day kind of snuck up on me. There have been so many other things on my mind lately. I've been thinking more about Cooper's 1st birthday than I have of my 32nd.

I don't know why we buy Cooper toys. Our living room looks like a used toy store. It's impossible to walk into the living room with out one of his toys lighting up and then breaking into song. At this age he doesn't really need them. A cardboard box is fine with him. The Tivo remote is fine. The telephone is fine. He can and does have fun moving cans of Diet Coke from their case to a case of Diet Dr. Pepper. The newspaper is made to be ripped into pieces and spread across the floor. We don't need toys, but we got 'em.

People ask me what they should get him for his birthday. I tell them just to donate to his college fund. At least please don't get him any more toys. Clothes okay. Picture frames okay. Stocks, bonds, mutual funds okay. Toys not okay. I don't know what we'll do when we have two kids. Will we have twice as many toys? I hope not.

I've been thinking about the new baby's arrival which is now less than 2 months away. I can't even imagine loving another child, but I know I will. It's so much different the second time around. Been there, done that. So much of our time is focused on Cooper, whereas last time it was just Micole and I wondering what Cooper would bring into our lives. There was much more anticipation last time. Like I said, been there, done that.

I will get more excited. I'm sure of that. The excitement is just building a little bit slower this time.

Video Sharing at DropShots.com


Video Sharing at DropShots.com


Video Sharing at DropShots.com


Video Sharing at DropShots.com


Video Sharing at DropShots.com


Video Sharing at DropShots.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I feel the same way about our second child as well. It will be nice to have some more experience but what kind of feelings will I have? So far I feel more excited about the second addition, probably since we've had such a fantastic experience with teh first one.

Nice weekend

AD

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Marty!

When baby #2 arrives, you'll fall madly in love with him/her.

A hint on the toys if I may? Take away most of them. Leave him a few, and when he tires of those, rotate to others. I found that with so much to play with, they play with none of it because they get distracted. Just a thought...

mini me's momma said...

Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to Marty...Happy Birthday to you!!!
I agree on the hiding of the toys temporarily...it works wonders, especially when you've been "cooped" up for awhile. (LOL) We also "swap" toys for a week or so at a time w/our play group, so they can test out new toys and rediscover their own.

ieatcrayonz said...

Happy birthday, Marty! The toys are insane! Just when I think I have it under control, my mom buys Lauren another trike, horsie, and a wheelbarrow. Right now, I'm concentrating on outside toys because the house is OUT OF CONTROL.