Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A sad memory of my mother

It was the day she found out how bad her cancer was. Stage IV. The oncologist had just told her minutes before that it presently has no known cure. We were waiting together, just inside the the hospital doors, for my father to get the car.

Mom: Was there anything I could've done?

Me: Well.. Uh..(stuttering, because I didn't know how to respond)

Mom: You know, like anything that I could've done to find this out sooner?

Me: No, Mom... There was nothing you could've done.

It's really a sad memory, but it also makes me a little happy. Because she was there. Still alive. We shared a moment, even if it was a sad one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hugs!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Karin. Big hug Marty.

Unknown said...

I don't know how you can write about that kind of stuff. It reminds me of when I found out my dad's heart attack was going to take him from me. But I never got to talk to him again.