Monday, November 14, 2005

Primal Scream

I've talked a few times about how Cooper is getting into everything. It has happened so fast. He has no compulsions about going anywhere. Last night his curious exploring got the better of him.

We have a really nice book case that Micole bought for $5 at an estate sale. It was the steal of the century. On the bottom there is a cabinet where we store various cooking pots and trays. Around 8 o'clock or so, Cooper was playing with one of the cabinet doors. Micole and I never thought anything of it, because there wasn't anything harmful in there.

Soon however, young Cooper had opened and closed the cabinet door with his right hand while leaving a few fingers from his left hand smashed in the hinge end. Oh, what a scream! Imagine a scream of pure terror mixed with the sound of fingernails running across a chalkboard. It was horrible. I was shaken. The sound of his ominous shriek still echoes in my bones.

It took a few seconds to gather myself, open the door, and pull his hand out. Cooper was crying as hard as he ever has. I handed him to his mother. He cried for a little while and so did I. He's doing fine now.

The scream really shook me up. There was something completely instinctual about it. It rocked me to my core. I imagine it would be the feeling a momma bear gets when she hears one of her cubs screaming and then she runs off to find and save him from whatever trouble he's gotten himself into.

I know you can't protect your children from everything. Otherwise they would be living in a bubble. There are plenty of bumps, cuts, and bruises ahead of us. I think I can deal with those, but that scream still gets to me. I guess I am a very empathic person and I'm also a little more sensitive to things since my mother died. That scream just gives me the willies thinking about it.


Some nights he won't look at me when I try to take a picture of him.

Upload Video and Photos at JussPress.com

No matter how hard I try to get his attention, he just won't pay me any.

Upload Video and Photos at JussPress.com

He just won't look at me.

Upload Video and Photos at JussPress.com

It's all about watching the puppy dog.

Upload Video and Photos at JussPress.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When they scream like that, because they're hurt, or scared, it tears you up, doesn't it? I'm glad he's ok, that you're ok. :)

RB said...

Its so much fun when they get mobile, right? Ha! Bella is starting to crawl too and she LOVES to try to crawl out of and rock in her infant carrier. Sheesh! Have to keep my eye on her, shes a wild one! The only good thing about the screaming is that generally they start to be more careful about that particular activity!